Sunday 15 July 2007

No catch


Couples living together unmarried is a contemporary trend in life in Finland and reality for many Finns.

20% of the couples cohabiting are parents but they do not have the same rights in the eyes of the law as married couples do, which causes troubles when splitting up from the relationship or in cases of death. According to the law cohabiting couples are strangers even after having been living together for 20 years and despite having children together. Now there is a bill proposition for legal rights for common-law marriages due for parliament next year.

I am glad I don’t have to think about this too much, it just makes my head spin.

Anyway, yesterday my husband spent all day fishing. The catch was seven different types of fish, and he even named then all but most of the fish were not ones you bother to cook or they were small enough to be thrown back into the lake Perch that our cats are so fond of, they only caught two little tiny ones and didn’t bother bringing home. Sitting in a boat for twelve hours and not even catching anything, well that goes beyond what is comprehensible for me. I like fishing but would not have the patience doing for an entire day, I need more variation. Now just imagine the disappointment of the cats when daddy comes home all smelling of nice fish and they get nothing!

Today is the birthday of one of my dearest friends and I had planned to join the celebrations but as vacation plans had to be altered completely I was not able to in the end. How sad, now I have missed the 50th and 60th anniversaries! A bit disappointing but hey, that's life for you once gain.

And if reading this my dear friend will know I am there in my thoughts. I did send an e-card along though, together with some love.

No comments:

Post a Comment