Sunday 17 June 2007

A book is only a book!


Salman Rushdie just got knighted by Queen Elizabeth the II of the United Kingdom and the Muslims are offended by this as he is one of the most hated men in the Muslim world since he wrote the Satanic verses in the 1980’s. Well I have read the book and I do not get what is so offensive about the story in the book. But then I am not a Muslim, and there might be hints about things I do not understand. I think freedom of speech is good and a book is only a book

Islam wants that the western world to pay more respect to the Muslims and their faith Islam. Well why not the same thing around, why should the Muslims not have any respect for other religions? The Christians seem to be the enemy number one.

During the French revolution in the late 1700 century people wanted freedom, equality and brotherhood and that should be every ones’ right to no matter the religion you confess yourself to. I guess killing all the French aristocrats at the time in order to obtain the freedom, equality and brotherhood was not a very suave way and it seems like the same thing is done over and over again, Palestine being a good example of irreconcilable differences.

I really do not understand why people that are of another religion than your own are bad, why people who think differently should be killed because of their religion differing from ours. And according to what I have read in the Quran, the idea of Islam is not very far from the Christian or Jewish faith written in the Old Testament and the Bible. The ethics and guidelines are much the same so I see no difference as the definition of how you see God, is basically the same just a matter of choosing the name. I mean, you pray to God, even with the name changing from Allah, Yahweh and God.

I think diversity is the exciting thing about people, that people are different and not all the same. Meeting new people and getting to know them, is thrilling and you can learn so many new things. I have friends of different religions and do not think any less or better of them because of it, they just are what or who they are, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment